One of the reasons why you cannot place an order is MT4 no connection. If this situation lasts a long time, it can significantly affect the efficiency of trading. The following article shows what causes MT4 connection loss and how to fix it.
The MT4 error “No connection” can be due to several reasons. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Unstable Internet connection
- Geographic distance from the broker’s server to the device
- Using the VPN
- Firewalls and antivirus software
1. MT4 No connection due to unstable internet connection
Internet connection speed is one of the most common causes of MT4 connection loss. Slower is the speed of the Internet which affects the speed of connection to the server (server).
To check if the speed of your Internet connection is stable, you can use Speedtest.net. Speed Test is a free Internet speed test application that supports mobile and PC versions. Using the Speed Test, you can determine how stable your Internet connection is.
After logging into the SpeedTest.net website or Speed Test application on your mobile phone, click “GO” and wait for the results to be returned. The process takes about 1 minute and provides the results table as shown below:
- Ping: is the connection speed. The smaller the value, the faster the connection.
- Downloads: Shows the speed at which you can download data to your device, measured in megabits per second (Mbps).
- Upload: Reflects the speed of uploading data over the network from the device and Mbps.
After determining that the cause is a slow Internet connection, to fix it, you need:
- Check and adjust the network cable.
- Connect to another online service (if you use more than one Internet service).
- Reinstall the router/modem by turning off these devices for at least 5 seconds, then restarting; This can help update an existing or unstable connection.
- Upgrade your internet plan to ensure your connection.
2. Geographical distance from the device to the broker’s server
The speed of the Internet also depends in some way on the geographical location. To put it simply, if the Broker places the Server in London and you are in London, the ping speed will usually be less than 20ms and, therefore, faster. But if you are in Scotland, the ping speed is about 20-50 ms and the connection speed to the server will be slower.
Once there, left-click on the location where the “No connection” error appears in the lower right corner of MT4 and select “Rescan Server” to refresh the list of servers.
You can then view the clusters of connected servers. So, choose the server with the fastest ping speed, the choice of DC-082-London-R7 server with a Ping of only 41.13ms has a higher speed.
Alternatively, you can also use the Forex VPS service. VPS is roughly a virtual machine that helps you run MetaTrader 4 (MT 4) around the clock (24/7/365), stable and durable.
3. MT4 No connection due to VPN usage
Suppose you have an active VPN service when using a trading terminal. In that case, it can cause problems similar to when your internet connection is unstable, such as slow response times and connectivity issues in the event of VPN service outages.
If your VPN service is working, try disabling it and restarting MT4.
4. Firewall and antivirus software
Using a firewall can conflict with the MT4 platform by restricting or blocking Internet traffic passing through the application.
To resolve this issue, you must:
- Add the trading terminal to the list of Firewall and Antivirus exceptions.
- Or turn off the antivirus software, stick the fire and access MT4 again.
If you have tried all of the above and have not been able to fix the connection loss issue, you can contact the support of the broker with whom you opened your account for instructions.