Of all the trading platforms available to traders, MetaTrader 4 is by far the most popular. In fact, most brokers in the world offer this platform on their sites so that investors can trade comfortably and quickly. To start trading on an MT4 platform, you must first download and install it on your computer. In this article, we will show you the easiest way to download MetaTrader 4 (MT4) on PC and mobile phones.
1. How to Download MT4 for PC
Of all the trading platforms available to traders, MetaTrader 4 (MT4) is by far the most popular, especially among the one that trades forex or CFDs (contracts for difference). In fact, over 95% of forex brokers offer this platform on their sites.
For every Windows, Mac OS or Linux operating system, the way to install MT4 has a slight difference. However, in general, there are two ways to download MT4 on your personal computer:
- Go to the official MetaTrader 4 homepage to download.
- Download MT4 from the Broker with whom you registered a trading account. Each broker provides clients with a separate version of MT4 available on the server, so that traders can download MT4 directly from the broker for convenience in accessing and trading.
However, usually, it is more convenient to download MT4 from the broker with whom you open an account and less trouble during the subsequent login process.
Therefore, I will show you how to download MT4 from the broker that you have registered an account in the guide below. I take XM.com as an example because he is one of the many oldest, most reputable and most used traders by many.
- Step 1: From the broker’s homepage, select the trading platform menu and select the operating system you are using, then click the download button to download the appropriate metatrader 4 installation for that operating system. If you are using a Windows computer, choose MT4 for PC. If you’re using a Macbook, choose MT4 for Mac.
- Step 2: After downloading, you will see that there is an xm4setup file.exe, double click on it and select Run.
- Step 3: Click Next to continue the installation. When the installation is complete, click Finish to complete the installation.
To use the MT4 platform, you need to log in with the account information of your broker that you have opened. Note that you choose the exact server provided by the broker. Or you can open an MT4 demo account right away to try the platform first.
2. How to Download MT4 for Mobile Phones
MetaTrader 4 is fully compatible with iOS and Android devices. You can easily install them with a few quick and direct steps as follows:
Download MetaTrader 4 for iOS (iPhone, iPad)
- Open the Appstore on your iPhone or iPad. In the search bar, type MetaTrader 4 (or MT4).
- Click download MetaTrader 4.
- Once done, click Open or click on the MT4 app on the main screen to launch the application.
Download MetaTrader 4 for Android:
- Open CH Play on your Android device. In the search bar, type MetaTrader 4 (or MT4).
- Download apps by tapping Install in CH Play.
- After the installation is complete, the MetaTrader 4 application will be on the home screen.
After installing MT4, you can log in to your account and start trading. Installing MT4 from the MetaTrader homepage is especially useful when you have multiple trading accounts at different brokers.