Here’s how users can add custom tokens to the MetaMask wallet.
MetaMask, the leading Ethereum-based wallet, now allows users to add custom tokens to their wallets, especially if the tokens are ERC-20 compliant.
The wallet usually displays ERC-20 tokens – the standard tokens accepted by the wallet. With a wave of new cryptocurrency tokens coming out, users can add their own custom tokens.
However, it is often recommended to act with caution while exploring unknown tokens and subsequently adding them to MetaMask.
On this note, let’s take a look at how custom tokens can be added to the MetaMask wallet.
How to add custom tokens to MetaMask
To add ERC-20-compliant custom tokens to the MetaMask wallet, users must:
- Go to Etherscan and search for your custom token. Alternatively, go to the Etherscan page of your custom token.
- In the Profile Summary section, select and copy the contract address of the custom token.
- Go back to MetaMask and select Add Token. Paste the address of the contract. MetaMask will then be updated to include the token symbol and other features.
- Update your wallet to see if the custom token has been added to MetaMask.
Alternatively, you can turn on MetaMask’s automatic token detection feature in the settings. Go to Settings, then Experimental, before changing the switch.
Finally, CoinGecko may also be able to help you add custom tokens to your MetaMask.
If you have linked your MetaMask to the price tracker, go to the custom token page and select the MetaMask logo next to the contract address. This will require a pop-up asking if you want to add the token to the metamask.
Automatic detection of the MetaMask token
MetaMask’s latest feature allows you to easily add custom tokens by automatically detecting them.
To access this feature a user must:
- Log in to their MetaMask account
- Go to settings
- Click on Experimental
- Turn on the auto-detect feature.
It should be noted that this feature is only available on the Ethereum mainnet.
Why can’t I add tokens to MetaMask?
One of the main reasons why you’re not able to add tokens to MetaMask might be the fact that MetaMask has yet to add that token to its token repository, which is why you’re not able to add the token in the first place.
However, it is often recommended to research what type of custom tokens can be added to MetaMask before making an active purchase.
A user must check what types of tokens are accepted on MetaMask before starting the whole process.